What is in your arsenal against colds and flu this season?
As much as we hate to be sick, cold and flu season comes around every year. Having children in the home tend to make this season feel like it lasts twice as long as the little ones seem to share all their germs with their friends.
We should be doing the obvious to keep our immune system healthy ~ take our vitamins, consume extra vitamin C, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and get plenty of rest ~ but sometimes we need just a little extra help.
This is where all natural help comes to us in the form of essential oils and herbs.
Below, find my top seven essential oils for aiding in our fight against cold and flu season.
Quick Reminder ~ Always check with your doctor before ingesting essential oils ~ even those generally considered safe.
***Affiliate links are used: If you purchase through my links, I will receive a small commission! I only ever recommend products / services that I LOVE and USE myself. The support of you purchasing through my link allows me to follow by dreams! So I thank you for all of your support!!!
“Health is not valued until sickness comes” ~ Thomas Fuller
Eucalyptus has been used in over the counter medications for years, most notably Vick’s VapoRub. Adding this essential oil to your essential oil diffuser or steamer has been found to have many benefits.
Eucalyptus is useful for:
- Cough relief
- Loosening chest mucus
- Bug repellant
- Soothes cold sores
- Eases joint pain
*Not recommended for children under 6 years of age unless specifically labeled as Eucalyptus smithii or E. radiata rather than Eucalyptus globulus.
Lemon essential oil, distilled from the peel of the Citrus limon plant provides many health benefits. As most citrus essential oils in aromatherapy, do not apply directly to skin or go out in the sun immediately after applying as it may increase ultraviolet light sensitivity from the sun.
Lemon is useful for:
- Relieves anxiety and stress
- Promotes weight loss
- Decreases seasonal depression
3) Tea Tree
Tea tree essential oil, derived from the leaves of the tea tree plant native to Queensland and New South Wales, Australia is a multi-use wonder. Add this essential oil to your bath to soothe cold and flu symptoms.
Tea tree is useful for:
- Repels insects
- Speeds wound healing
- Fights acne
- Treats nail fungus
- Soothes skin inflammation
- Controls dandruff
- Relieves Psoriasis
Recipe for Hand Sanitizer
- 8-10 drops lavender essential oil
- 30 drops tea tree essential oil of a 0.5% concentration
- 1 Tablespoon witch hazel extract or high-proof vodka
- 8 ounces 100% pure aloe vera gel
- ¼ teaspoon Vitamin E oil ~ a natural preservative to increase shelf life
- Add essential oils and Vitamin E oil to a bowl and swirl to mix.
- Add witch hazel (or alcohol) to the oils and swirl again.
- Combine this mixture with the aloe vera gel and mix well.
- Shake gently before each use ~ Sanitizer should last several months with the addition of Vitamin E and alcohol to help preserve.
Peppermint is most commonly found in foods and supplements. In an essential oil form, peppermint has a cooling sensation when placed on the skin. Peppermint is generally considered safe to diffuse, apply to skin, and to ingest.
Warning ~ When ingested in large amounts, peppermint can cause heartburn and can have possible interactions with medications making the medication difficult for the body to metabolize leading to side effects.
Peppermint is useful as:
- Relieves nausea and motion sickness.
- A peppermint tea will help with stomach ailments.
Lavender is one of the most versatile of all essential oils. Widely known for its relaxing effects on the body, lavender also has the fewest skin reactions of essential oils.
Lavender is useful for:
- Aids with sleep
- Treats skin disorders such as Eczema and Dermatitis
- Relieves symptoms of motion sickness
- Eliminates dandruff
- Reduces signs of cold sores
- Eases headaches
Recipe for Headache Remedy Blend
- 10 ML odorless liquid carrier oil, such as jojoba or coconut oil
- 3 drops peppermint essential oil
- 2 drops sweet marjoram
- 1 drop lavender
*Store in dark-colored glass jar.
As a herb, rosemary has added flavor to foods for generations. We are now seeing additional health benefits through the use of rosemary as an essential oil.
Rosemary is useful to:
- Strengthens memory and concentration
- Stimulates hair regrowth
- Relieves pain
- Repels bugs
- Reduces joint inflammation
- Eases stress
Frankincense essential oil is one of the oldest known commonly used herb and oil. Throughout history, this has been used in religion ceremonies, most notably Christianity.
Frankincense is useful for:
- Helps Reduce Stress and Depression
- Helps Boost Immune System Function and Prevents Illness
- Astringent and Can Kill Harmful Germs and Bacteria
- Heals Skin and Prevents Signs of Aging
- Improves Memory
- Eases Digestion
- Aids in Sleep
- Decrease Inflammation and Pain
Recipe for Chest Rub
- 2 Tbsp beeswax
- ½ cup coconut oil
● Essential oils (20 drops each
peppermint & eucalyptus, 10
drops each lavender & tea
tree essential oils)
● Small jar or tin
- Melt the beeswax in a double boiler over low heat.
- Add coconut oil and stir until melted.
- Add essential oils and mix well.
- Slowly pour into small jar.
*Rub a small amount on chest or back when feeling congested.
In sharing my love for essential oils, I hope you begin to incorporate them into areas of your life. The different essential oils can make a huge difference in mind, body, and spirit!
- Keep away from children and pets
- Do not get near eyes
- Do not drip directly into ears
- Discuss essential oils with your doctor if you:
- are pregnant
- have epilepsy, seizures or asthma
- have a skin condition
- Do not diffuse around infants younger than six months old
- Be sure that pets have the ability to leave the room where the diffuser is in use.
- I do not recommend diffusing citrus essential oils around pets.
We would love to hear in the comments what essential oils and blends you create to aid in your fight with the common cold and flu!
If you are loving what you read here, PLEASE share AND hit subscribe today! Or buy you could buy me a coffee to keep me joyfully caffeinated.